Costa Rica Famous People
Most of the famous people from Costa Rica are usually individuals who have made a difference on specific fields putting our nation’s name on the map A celebrity from Costa Rica is not usually some big movie star. To be a celebrity in Costa Rica, you have to be outstanding and do something that brings pride to the nation of Costa Rica. Famous persons for Ticos are:
• Francisco Amighetti: Was a self-taught painter but influenced by Mexican, American, and European art, as well as Japanese prints. He portrayed bright and colorful every day situations of Costa Rican life in paintings with a touch of expressionism while referencing social problems.
• Juan Santamaria: Juan Santamaria was a joyful, humble and brave young man. He enlisted himself into de Alajuelan troops as a drummer. He became a hero in 1856, when, in the middle of the battle against William Walker and the filibusters, he took a torch and burned down the house where the enemy was hiding. Losing his life for his nation, he became one of the most famous people in Costa Rica; he is remembered by a huge memorial statue in the middle of alajuela Park.
• Jose Maria Castro Madriz: Was once the president of the Congress and the Supreme Court of Costa Rica. He co-founded the Santo Tomas University and started one of the first newspapers of the country, “El Mentor Costarricense”. He was elected chief of state in 1847 and made Costa Rica an independent nation on 1848 and became the first president of the Independent Republic from 1848 to 1849. During his presidency he created a school for girls and established the actual Costa Rica flag.
• Franklin Chang Diaz: Born on April 5, 1950 in San Jose Costa Rica. Famous people are not usually famous for what Franklin does: Dr. Chang-Dìaz became an astronaut in August 1981. While undergoing astronaut training he was also involved in flight software checkout at the Shuttle Avionics Integration Laboratory (SAIL), and participated in the early Space Station design studies. He has also been part of many missions into outer space including the Discovery expedition on 1998 and on the Endeavour on 2002. He has also received many prizes for his work on outstanding scientific research.
• Claudia and Silvia Poll: These nationalized Ticas have put Costa Rica’s name up by winning several Olympic medals in the swimming category. They both have participated and brought home several honors in this demanding sport. Although Silvia does not compete anymore, she will be remembered as a hero for many years to come and Claudia has managed to come out as a role model for many young people in Costa Rica.
• Oscar Arias Sanchez: He won the Nobel Prize thanks to his efforts to find peace in Latin America. In May 1986, he met the Presidents of Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua to discuss the proposals for a peaceful solution to the regions’ political disputes. After working on many other positions in the government he became Costa Rica’s president in 1986, and is running for office for the next presidential elections.
As you can see in Costa Rica, famous people need to have guts and determination. There are many other amazing and outstanding citizens, everyday people who constantly leave a mark on our history. For Costa Rica’s famous: personality and looks are not everything, what is necessary is someone who makes the people proud and honored to be Costa Ricans.